We start accepting applications January 1, 2015.
What is a Junior Zookeeper?
- A student between 13 – 17 years of age
- Has a love of animals
- Has an interest in the Zoo
What does a Junior Zoo Keeper do?
- Will help with classes and programs conducted at the Zoo
- Interpret at exhibits for the general public (it'll be fun we promise!)
- Make enrichment for the animals
- Help with special events
- Learn to handle program animals.
We'll have an informational meeting March 10 from 6:00-7:00 pm that answers everything you need
to know (parents are strongly encouraged to attend).
Call 309-799-3482 ext 222 to reserve your spot.
What do you need to do to be a Junior Zoo Keeper?
- Fill out and submit the application and essay describing "Why would you like to be a junior zoo keeper?" by April 25, 2015
- Submit a letter of reference from a teacher or non-family member
The Education Department will contact you to set up an interview. Interviews will be offered through May 16.
Once accepted into the program, all first year program participants will be required to attend a one-week training camp scheduled
The fee for this program is $50.00 for Niabi Zoological Society Members and $60.00 for non-members
and is due on the first day of camp.
Were you a JZK last year and hoping to be one again this year? You just need to fill out the application and submit it by April 25, 2015.
JZK training for 2nd and 3rd years will be June 15-17 from 9:00-2:00.
The 2015 Junior Zookeeper Application
is available. Applications are due April 25, 2015.